Let’s talk about where to start!
When searching for patents during a patent application or patent infringement defence, researchers have many tools available. Several free patent search tools provide access to a single country’s patents, such as the USPTO and Canada’s CIPO. Others offer an international patent search, like Espacenet and Google.
Free is not necessarily cheap
With so many free patent research options available, why use a commercial product like LexisNexis TotalPatent One? The short answer is: to ensure optimal results and to guarantee your job. If you need more convincing, read on:
- Free tools do not usually offer translations. Unless you are a linguist, that makes international patent search very difficult.
- Free tools do not always offer the best user experience or search options. If a patent researcher spends two hours on a search that could have taken fifteen minutes using a paid tool, you may end up paying too much.
- Free tools do not always date back very far, which may mean missing existing patents. It’s surprising how often different generations try to find solutions for the same problems.
- Free tools are not always complete or have the best indexing. If relevant documents are subsequently missed, the entire patent application may be invalid.
The solution is to use the best of both worlds: free and commercial. That is where TotalPatent One comes in.
The benefits of a patent search with LexisNexis TotalPatent One™
In order to improve the quality of your research, TotalPatent One™ provides easy access to the world’s largest collection of searchable full text and bibliographic information. This data includes all the latest patent data available from major authorities, as well as value added elements such as machine translation, legal data, normalised names and family data. TotalPatent One means that:
- You are assured that your patent research is complete with the world’s largest and deepest collection of patent data from across the globe.
- You can instantly view information on the authorities, assignees and class codes of your search with visual analytics.
- You find the exact information you need with on-point search results.
- You have a faster, more fluid user experience with no waiting for pages to load due to single page application technology and infinite scroll results pages.